Health Benefits of Black Rice.Black rice It is a variety of cereal, staple food of many cultures, especially the Asian, very popular and desired in ancient China.Black rice has been a highly prized commodity since ancient Chinese dynasties.It is believed that it originated long before, however few writings of the time mention it, perhaps because of the prohibition that existed then that only nobles and warriors could consume it. its high nutritional value and its contribution to the maintenance of health and the improvement of diseases were recognized.
Health Benefits of Black Rice
- Black rice is high in anthocyanins (pigments that establish the color of many dark fruits and vegetables such as eggplants , berries, grapes , blueberries , among others), antioxidants, a substance that apparently helps fight diseases such as cancer , cardiac pathologies, and others .
- Interestingly, it is possible that the darker the rice , the more potent its nutrients. Black rice , for example, has been found to contain anthocyanins with nutritional attributes similar to those found in blueberries and blackberries.
- That’s great news, as studies show that anthocyanins fight a wide range of diseases , from cancer to heart disease .
- The researchers analyzed black rice bran and found it to be a “useful therapeutic agent for the treatment and prevention of diseases related to chronic inflammation.”
- Black rice also reduced dermatitis symptoms in studies, while brown rice did not have this effect.
- Antioxidants lower harmful cholesterol levels preventing heart disease , they also absorb harmful molecules, protecting arteries and contributing to DNA damage , which causes cancer .
- For years, researchers from various Institutions and Universities have studied samples of black rice bran , discovering that black rice bran contains large amounts of antioxidant anthocyanins .
- It is much richer in nutrients than white rice by preserving the layers that cover it, while in the various milling and refining processes they are removed, so it loses proteins, minerals and various nutrients.
- According to these studies, a tablespoon of black rice bran provides more antioxidant anthocyanins than one of blueberries, but provides less sugar , fiber and vitamin E.
- Studies have also shown that the consumption of black rice can relieve inflammation related to asthma , allergies , infectious diseases , heart disease and other associated conditions.
- Previous research had yielded data about its histamine-suppressing property, a neurotransmitter that, in response to allergic reactions, produces inflammation .
- The various investigations about the properties and benefits of black rice for health , are optimistic in the prevention of various conditions and give rise to other and more exhaustive studies.
Health Benefits of Black Rice For Your Health
Since this rice has evolved over the years, it has absorbed nutrients from the local soils . Therefore, different types of rice will have different nutritional properties. Each variety of black rice has its own unique nutritional benefits to your diet . Some varieties contain between 100 and 160 calories per half-cup cooked serving.
White rice in general is a low-fat food . Also many of the varieties of black rice do not contain fat.
Rice is rich in carbohydrates and has a small amount of protein . The recommended daily carbohydrate intake is 130 g per day, while the recommended protein intake is 46 g for women and 56 g for men . A serving of black rice can contain about 22 to 32 g of carbohydrates and 2 to 5 g of protein .
Black rice has a moderate amount of B vitamins and dietary fiber .
Eating foods that are high in fiber helps you stay full longer after eating. This can be helpful if you are trying to lose weight. Black rice in general has about 2 g dietary fiber .
This variety of rice has many micronutrients , vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin B , lipids , calcium , iron , cellulose and especially Omega 6 and Omega 9 , which can help prevent cancer .
Anthocyanins from black rice
- Black rice contains one of the highest levels of antioxidant anthocyanins found in any food.
- Anthocyanins (from the Greek (anthos): ‘ flower ‘ + (kyáneos): ‘ blue ‘) are water-soluble pigments that are found in the vacuoles of plant cells and that give the red , purple or blue color to leaves , flowers and plants. fruits .
- In higher plants , anthocyanins are found in all tissues , including leaves , stems , roots, flowers , and fruits . Anthocyanins can be confused with carotenoids , which also give flowers and leaves their color , although unlike anthocyanins, they are not soluble in water , but are attached to chloroplast proteins .
- Carotenoids give red – orange or yellow colors , while anthocyanins give an immense range of colors : malvidin gives purple color, flavones give ivory or yellow ; delphinidin, blue ; cyanidin, violet ; pelargonidine, red and salmon .
- Depending on the pH of the soil , the tonality of its color varies , since it is given by the hydroxyl groups of the phenolic rings and the benzopyril, in such a way that in an acid medium (with a pH less than 5) it takes on reddish colours, while in an alkaline medium (with a pH greater than 7) acquires a purple coloration.